Sr. Software Engineer
NeighborSchools is on a mission to reinvent child care. Today, parents spend over $50B a year on child care, but the caregivers — the hard-working women* who actually work hands-on with the children — get paid peanuts.
The solution is to help these incredible caregivers go independent, become micro-entrepreneurs, and work directly with small groups of families in their communities. By opening an independent home daycare the caregivers can earn 200% more, even though parents often pay 40% less. Meanwhile, our children get really good care in a small, more personal setting. That’s the win-win-win.
We believe that the future of child care will be made up of *millions* of these independent caregivers and we work every day to make that future a reality.
Engineers at NeighborSchools have the opportunity to:
- Work on a powerful web app that supports a two-sided marketplace
- Use programming skills for social good
- Develop within an extremely collaborative environment
- Contribute across the stack
- Have a say in product design and user experience
- Scale a product from an early stage
We are building a team of people who:
- Care about the quality of their code, but can also balance priorities against perfection
- Think critically about what they are working on and are willing to speak up if they have a new idea
- Care deeply about the end user experience
- Have humility and understand that we all write code that may have to be refactored one day after gaining a better understanding of the problem
- Are eager to learn and grow
Our technologies (previous experience not required):
- Material UI
We try to ensure NeighborSchools is an inclusive and diverse place where everyone feels happy, fulfilled, respected, comfortable, and welcome. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We care a lot, so our benefits are actually benefits, not just the fun stuff like swag and team lunches in the office (though we have that too!).
Benefits & Perks
We know the biggest investment we can make is in our employees, so we provide:
- Strong compensation package, including meaningful equity in a high-growth, early-stage startup
- Your choice of medical, dental, & vision insurance for you and your family
- Free OneMedical membership
- Up to 12 weeks paid family leave
- Unlimited PTO, which we track to make sure that everyone takes at least 14 days off per year.